TSSAA State Cross Country Meet 2012 Comments

• User
    PRO
    JParks
    I would like to say congratulations to everyone that competed in the state meet saturday! No matter how you finished it is a great accomplishment just getting there.

I would like to also comment on the character of some great girls, who stopped just yards from the finish line to help another girl up and try to help her across the finish line. They did not get her across the line but were willing to sacrifice their place to her someone else. (I was told we have a photo of this and I will try to post later) I know this kind of stuff takes place all over the place in this meet and others around the state (but I was right there for this one), and it makes me proud to be apart of this sport!

I got an up close and personal view of what all Jim Kiaser of AllTraxTiming does to make this meet go off as smooth as it does. Results were posted fast and accurate, and everything went off smoothly. I have not been around as long as some of you have but, I have seen great improvement in the state meet.

Ok enough ramblings, I will get back to work getting some photos and maybe the finish line video posted.
  • Coach
    jdbrockett
    Jasen- this was my runner and it was an amazing thing to see. She struggled for about 300 meters and to see girls stop to help her when she fell by the finish line was amazing. She is doing well and I know that all her teammates and family would like to say thanks to these girls (we did not know who or what team they were from). A truly selfless act that they should be proud of. Thanks!
  • User
    PRO
    Mousehouseof4
    I also would like to say congratulations to everyone who made it to State. This was my first year to attend, as my daughter is a freshman who ran for Morristown West. I was amazed at the talent and enjoyed watching the different races. I'd also like to say a special congrats to Martha McCoy from Science Hill, Emma Mashburn from Hardin Valley, and Chantal and Cherie Wilson from Morristown West. All have been top 10 runners all season and each struggled, pushed themselves to the max on Saturday. We all know what they're each capable of and even though the final results does not show their capabilities on paper, those ladies have more than proven themselves this season. True champions!! Also, congratulations to Ravenwood for being the girls AAA Champions...an amazing young team! Great job everyone!
  • Coach
    wlynn01
    Coach Parks,

If we could put some volunteers on the course with communication linked with the medics I think it would speed up the recovery process of injured runners. Overall, I thought the meet was great and parking was easy to find. Thanks to you as well for managing this website.
  • User
    PRO
    JParks
    @wlynn01

They had a cart and would pick up down runners, the issue was they had more go down than they could carry at one time. I see your point but even with contact they can only get to so many at one time. I think a simple solution would be have a sheet in each packet telling the coaches and parents what to do and where to take each kid with an issue. Many people came to the finish area and then we had to go back to the medical tents or redirect them to that area.

Also I would add on the sheet some examples of what is assistance and what is legal to do for a runner with out getting them disqualified. (water, helping up, pacing, and so on)