11/05/2020 11:21:12 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Please contribute if you have anything
Please contribute if you have anything
11/05/2020 1:05:24 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
TSSAA pre race Info states: "Timing Chips will be provided for Division I ONLY"??? DII Doesn't get chip timing results?? Not a class act by TSSAA if that is correct.
TSSAA pre race Info states: "Timing Chips will be provided for Division I ONLY"??? DII Doesn't get chip timing results?? Not a class act by TSSAA if that is correct.
11/05/2020 3:53:14 PM
Power User
Im guessing with COVID, they wanted to limit interaction with volunteers and athletes and since the field sizes of the D2 are under about 100 athletes, maybe they didn't feel it necessary to bother with chips. The primary timing device is Finishlynx and they likely read every single finisher with Lynx either way. Chips just help and are not required, especially if field sizes are small. They make things alot easier for us timers though!
Im guessing with COVID, they wanted to limit interaction with volunteers and athletes and since the field sizes of the D2 are under about 100 athletes, maybe they didn't feel it necessary to bother with chips. The primary timing device is Finishlynx and they likely read every single finisher with Lynx either way. Chips just help and are not required, especially if field sizes are small. They make things alot easier for us timers though!
11/06/2020 2:10:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
In between D2 races, I'll respond to say that if you go to a championship meet or a meet with qualifying implications (region meets, etc) - you absolutely DO NOT want chip timing to be primary. They are only accurate to about a tenth of a second and some chips are "activated stronger" than other chips - both of which could cause a flip-flop of the actual placement. For this meet, Finishlynx is the primary timing source. I'm only using chips for Division 1 runners since there are about 200 runners. The chips allow me to go thru the Finishlynx video image quickly...I can usually get thru the runners before the last finisher comes across. Now, because of the importance of the state meet, I will also do a quick 3rd check based on an audio recording. For Division 2, chips are unnecessary since there are only about 100 or less finishers. I can go thru the video of 100 runners before the last person finishes so that makes the chips less helpful. It isn't a slight against D2 runners, it just gives them less to think about/stress about prior to a big race...and they don't have to sit in the finish chute area in a hot sun waiting collecting chips, or in this covid climate avoid hanging around in a crowd. With all that said, my priority is posting results for anyone present in person at the meet and for the awards ceremony. Then, my secondary goal is to post results online ASAP for anyone sitting at home or not able to travel. So the results yesterday were posted online about 15 minutes after the races. This morning in D2AA, there was a girl wearing the wrong bib (she wore a boys bib) but it does take easily 5 minutes or so to find a coach or figure out those kinds of issues. So sometimes things happen that someone at home wouldn't know is causing a legit delay but I understand they are sitting on pins & needles and thinking that no one cares and we must be purposely delaying putting anything out. NOW, with that said, LIVE, LIVE results are coming as everything has gotten cheaper, easier, and finally a decent platform is more easily accessible to timers around the country. This is assuming of course that data speeds in the park spaces are adequate. They usually have been OK until hundreds of people show up and are using their phones also. That delay just has made it not worth it until the last year or so. But I do think we are there now...at least I hope as much as you might. Hopefully that gives a clearer picture of the situation. Feel free to ask anything but hopefully you shouldn't assume that I or the TSSAA don't care...or that it is all about money because it isn't. They don't make THAT much off of cross country or track state meets. It might seem like it when you calculate say 2000 spectators at $10 each ($20,000) but the costs & expenses of championship events takes almost every bit of the revenue when you pay for the officials, travel costs, awards, facilities, police, portajohns, insurance, traffic helpers (lunch), volunteers (shirt cost and lunch/dinner costs), etc, etc. I'll guarantee that those really nice state championship team trophies/medals are easily $5000 alone (8 championships with winner & runner up).
In between D2 races, I'll respond to say that if you go to a championship meet or a meet with qualifying implications (region meets, etc) - you absolutely DO NOT want chip timing to be primary. They are only accurate to about a tenth of a second and some chips are "activated stronger" than other chips - both of which could cause a flip-flop of the actual placement.
For this meet, Finishlynx is the primary timing source. I'm only using chips for Division 1 runners since there are about 200 runners. The chips allow me to go thru the Finishlynx video image quickly...I can usually get thru the runners before the last finisher comes across. Now, because of the importance of the state meet, I will also do a quick 3rd check based on an audio recording.
For Division 2, chips are unnecessary since there are only about 100 or less finishers. I can go thru the video of 100 runners before the last person finishes so that makes the chips less helpful. It isn't a slight against D2 runners, it just gives them less to think about/stress about prior to a big race...and they don't have to sit in the finish chute area in a hot sun waiting collecting chips, or in this covid climate avoid hanging around in a crowd.
With all that said, my priority is posting results for anyone present in person at the meet and for the awards ceremony. Then, my secondary goal is to post results online ASAP for anyone sitting at home or not able to travel. So the results yesterday were posted online about 15 minutes after the races. This morning in D2AA, there was a girl wearing the wrong bib (she wore a boys bib) but it does take easily 5 minutes or so to find a coach or figure out those kinds of issues. So sometimes things happen that someone at home wouldn't know is causing a legit delay but I understand they are sitting on pins & needles and thinking that no one cares and we must be purposely delaying putting anything out.
NOW, with that said, LIVE, LIVE results are coming as everything has gotten cheaper, easier, and finally a decent platform is more easily accessible to timers around the country. This is assuming of course that data speeds in the park spaces are adequate. They usually have been OK until hundreds of people show up and are using their phones also. That delay just has made it not worth it until the last year or so. But I do think we are there now...at least I hope as much as you might.
Hopefully that gives a clearer picture of the situation. Feel free to ask anything but hopefully you shouldn't assume that I or the TSSAA don't care...or that it is all about money because it isn't. They don't make THAT much off of cross country or track state meets. It might seem like it when you calculate say 2000 spectators at $10 each ($20,000) but the costs & expenses of championship events takes almost every bit of the revenue when you pay for the officials, travel costs, awards, facilities, police, portajohns, insurance, traffic helpers (lunch), volunteers (shirt cost and lunch/dinner costs), etc, etc. I'll guarantee that those really nice state championship team trophies/medals are easily $5000 alone (8 championships with winner & runner up).
11/06/2020 2:53:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@alltrax Great response Jim.
@alltrax Great response Jim.
11/06/2020 11:49:39 PM
Power User
@alltrax Great season again Jim. The efforts of everyone who moved forward with meets this fall should be commended across the state. We are very fortunate in TN!
@alltrax Great season again Jim. The efforts of everyone who moved forward with meets this fall should be commended across the state. We are very fortunate in TN!
11/07/2020 10:28:06 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@knoxvilleyouthathletics1 Absolutely true! I'm with you 100% on that and congrats to you too! Tennessee as a whole (coaches, meet directors, timers, even politicians) deserve a lot of credit for making something possible for the kids to experience these life-altering connections with classmates & valuable mental & physical growth. A SPECIAL shout-out to Beech HS Coach Wietecha for opening up an opportunity for SO MANY during the season and providing a path (pun intended) for the TSSAA - and during the last few days, I'm super impressed with Hendersonville's hospitality and the park workers they employ - they always asked how we were doing & if they could help us make anything better. (My only complaint is that I'm amazed at how many people just walk off & leave half empty water bottles sitting around for someone else to pick up after the events -there were trashcans all over the place!) But again, kudos to Hendersonville & Beech.
@knoxvilleyouthathletics1

Absolutely true! I'm with you 100% on that and congrats to you too!
Tennessee as a whole (coaches, meet directors, timers, even politicians) deserve a lot of credit for making something possible for the kids to experience these life-altering connections with classmates & valuable mental & physical growth.
A SPECIAL shout-out to Beech HS Coach Wietecha for opening up an opportunity for SO MANY during the season and providing a path (pun intended) for the TSSAA - and during the last few days, I'm super impressed with Hendersonville's hospitality and the park workers they employ - they always asked how we were doing & if they could help us make anything better. (My only complaint is that I'm amazed at how many people just walk off & leave half empty water bottles sitting around for someone else to pick up after the events -there were trashcans all over the place!) But again, kudos to Hendersonville & Beech.
11/07/2020 10:48:49 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@harrier46.flosports the TNMilesplit twitter feed didn't miss a beat.
@harrier46.flosports the TNMilesplit twitter feed didn't miss a beat.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.