Cherokee Classic 2013
09/16/2013 11:37:20 AM
User
Why don’t the organizers of the Cherokee Classic see that there is a problem with parking. We got to the parking area 1-1/2 hours prior to the 1st race and there was no parking except over a mile walk. This is the 2nd year in a roll with NO INPROVEMENT. The officers could not do anything they had, no direction, no information, no signs and was very frustrated with the whole thing as it was unfolding, what are we suppose to do when you travel over 2 hrs. in a car and can’t get out. Stuck in traffic prior to the 1st race.
Why don't the organizers of the Cherokee Classic see that there is a problem with parking. We got to the parking area 1-1/2 hours prior to the 1st race and there was no parking except over a mile walk. This is the 2nd year in a roll with NO INPROVEMENT. The officers could not do anything they had, no direction, no information, no signs and was very frustrated with the whole thing as it was unfolding, what are we suppose to do when you travel over 2 hrs. in a car and can't get out. Stuck in traffic prior to the 1st race.
09/16/2013 12:43:11 PM
Coach
We got there at about 7:45 and got right in. But it was full not too long after that. I would not change the course, but if they did, maybe they could have the start and finish towards the middle of the park? Making it equidistant from each parking area.... Either way, I have a feeling that this meet is going to get bigger. So parking may be an issue regardless. Trust me, though, most races have nightmarish parking. For me, one of the best parking situations, also turned into one of the worst parking situations. It was at Jesse Owens, last year. It had rained a few days before, so the giant grass parking area was already a tad soft. During the races, it poured and poured. So many cars got stuck in the mud, and there is absolutely no other place to park at that course. But that's the joy of cross country, we run at parks.
We got there at about 7:45 and got right in. But it was full not too long after that. I would not change the course, but if they did, maybe they could have the start and finish towards the middle of the park? Making it equidistant from each parking area.... Either way, I have a feeling that this meet is going to get bigger. So parking may be an issue regardless. Trust me, though, most races have nightmarish parking. For me, one of the best parking situations, also turned into one of the worst parking situations. It was at Jesse Owens, last year. It had rained a few days before, so the giant grass parking area was already a tad soft. During the races, it poured and poured. So many cars got stuck in the mud, and there is absolutely no other place to park at that course. But that's the joy of cross country, we run at parks.
09/16/2013 12:45:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What does the x mean beside thier name in the stat rankings?
What does the x mean beside thier name in the stat rankings?
09/16/2013 1:18:47 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@marathonlance Not sure where you mean? I don't see them? Please send a link to where you see this.
@marathonlance

Not sure where you mean? I don't see them? Please send a link to where you see this.
09/16/2013 1:59:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
http://tn.milesplit.com/rankings/2013/cc/hs/m/5000m?l=2096 1. 15:26.58 Aaron Templeton Hardin Valley Academy 2014 08/31/2013 Hardin Valley Invitational 2. 15:34.17x Adam Barnard Daniel Boone High School 2015 09/14/2013 Cherokee Classic *** MILESPLIT US FIRST TEAM ELITE 15:45.00 *** 3. 15:47.21 Lachlan Dickie Hardin Valley Academy 2014 09/14/2013 Furman Classic - FEATURED EVENT 4. 16:01.67 Aaron Thomas Brentwood High School 2014 08/29/2013 Voyles Classic 5. 16:01.87 Taylor Caldwell Brentwood High School 2014 08/29/2013 Voyles Classic 6. 16:02.05 Alec Thomas Brentwood High School 2014 08/29/2013 Voyles Classic 7. 16:03.68x Eli Leskisen Oakland High School 2015 09/14/2013 Cherokee Classic 8. 16:08.07x James Garst Daniel Boone High School 2015 09/14/2013 Cherokee Classic 9. 16:08.29 Dartanian Oakley Hardin Valley Academy 2015 09/14/2013 Furman Classic - FEATURED EVENT
http://tn.milesplit.com/rankings/2013/cc/hs/m/5000m?l=2096

1. 15:26.58 Aaron Templeton Hardin Valley Academy 2014 08/31/2013 Hardin Valley Invitational
2. 15:34.17x Adam Barnard Daniel Boone High School 2015 09/14/2013 Cherokee Classic
*** MILESPLIT US FIRST TEAM ELITE 15:45.00 ***
3. 15:47.21 Lachlan Dickie Hardin Valley Academy 2014 09/14/2013 Furman Classic - FEATURED EVENT
4. 16:01.67 Aaron Thomas Brentwood High School 2014 08/29/2013 Voyles Classic
5. 16:01.87 Taylor Caldwell Brentwood High School 2014 08/29/2013 Voyles Classic
6. 16:02.05 Alec Thomas Brentwood High School 2014 08/29/2013 Voyles Classic
7. 16:03.68x Eli Leskisen Oakland High School 2015 09/14/2013 Cherokee Classic
8. 16:08.07x James Garst Daniel Boone High School 2015 09/14/2013 Cherokee Classic
9. 16:08.29 Dartanian Oakley Hardin Valley Academy 2015 09/14/2013 Furman Classic - FEATURED EVENT
09/16/2013 2:22:37 PM
Coach
It could just be identifying your runners for you.
It could just be identifying your runners for you.
09/16/2013 2:32:24 PM
User
I see it and my girl's team didn't run in this meet. It appears to be beside all the boy runners who ran in the Cherokee Classic. Also, the girls results haven't been uploaded in the Stat rankings.
I see it and my girl's team didn't run in this meet. It appears to be beside all the boy runners who ran in the Cherokee Classic. Also, the girls results haven't been uploaded in the Stat rankings.
09/16/2013 2:37:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We did not run this meet either. I didn't know if it meant a long or short course. They sure were fast.
We did not run this meet either.
I didn't know if it meant a long or short course.
They sure were fast.
09/16/2013 3:01:21 PM
Coach
It was an accurate course. The splits they ran were consistent with the finishing times.
It was an accurate course. The splits they ran were consistent with the finishing times.
09/16/2013 3:21:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think the big break in the weather had a major impact on all the meets this past weekend. Now if we can just get that kind of weather at the end of the season.
I think the big break in the weather had a major impact on all the meets this past weekend. Now if we can just get that kind of weather at the end of the season.
09/16/2013 5:38:31 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@marathonlance I have no idea, I will ask our tech guy and see what he says. I am guessing it is a time thing.
@marathonlance

I have no idea, I will ask our tech guy and see what he says. I am guessing it is a time thing.
09/16/2013 5:44:07 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@marathonlance OK it was me. I added the combined and the large and small so everyone ran the same time twice in that meet. (so the computer thinks)
@marathonlance

OK it was me. I added the combined and the large and small so everyone ran the same time twice in that meet. (so the computer thinks)
09/16/2013 10:32:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@JParks That makes since. I spend way too much time looking at all this cool stuff. Remember the old days when you had to wait for weeks to get info on runners and races? I'm going back to the 80's for you young guys.
@JParks

That makes since. I spend way too much time looking at all this cool stuff.
Remember the old days when you had to wait for weeks to get info on runners and races?
I'm going back to the 80's for you young guys.
09/17/2013 5:48:43 PM
Power User
@Layne The parking there can be a serious hassle. We arrived at 7:30 after a 2 hour drive and there were well less than 20 vehicles in the lot. Shortly thereafter, the number of vehicles really picked up. How they organize the vehicles in that lot could be a little better, but not enough to accommodate the total number of cars. Have been coming several years and this is always an issue, though this year it was a bigger race and more cars. Though I'm not crazy about the idea, they could put a large gap between the girls and boys races which might allow some to clear out and make room for later arrivals. If the intent is to grow the race even larger, then shuttles from perimeter lots should be considered. Though I suspect the percentage is small, I've always been a bit surprised by the number of Knoxville area student runners that drive themselves to the race separately from any family that might come to watch. This past week I counted at least 10 runners driving themselves away from the meet, and I wasn't making much of an effort to monitor it closely. On the east end of the state, there are pretty clear rules that students can not provide their own transport to a race-- though family can take them.
@Layne The parking there can be a serious hassle. We arrived at 7:30 after a 2 hour drive and there were well less than 20 vehicles in the lot. Shortly thereafter, the number of vehicles really picked up. How they organize the vehicles in that lot could be a little better, but not enough to accommodate the total number of cars. Have been coming several years and this is always an issue, though this year it was a bigger race and more cars. Though I'm not crazy about the idea, they could put a large gap between the girls and boys races which might allow some to clear out and make room for later arrivals. If the intent is to grow the race even larger, then shuttles from perimeter lots should be considered.

Though I suspect the percentage is small, I've always been a bit surprised by the number of Knoxville area student runners that drive themselves to the race separately from any family that might come to watch. This past week I counted at least 10 runners driving themselves away from the meet, and I wasn't making much of an effort to monitor it closely. On the east end of the state, there are pretty clear rules that students can not provide their own transport to a race-- though family can take them.
09/17/2013 6:31:43 PM
Power User
This year the race numbers really blew up--because of the date, I think. That's a great thing in many ways and a curse in some others. Of course, we're thrilled that our buddies from upper-ET and from Memphis and Nashville made the trip and will listen and try to improve the meet next year as we expect numbers to grow. Parking always has been and probably always will be an issue at that venue, but we have some creative ideas for handling that next year by parking cars in areas other than that one main lot. (In fact, my team parked in the middle lot a mile away from the start. Our warmup and cooldown incorporated that mile each way.) We also plan to run two divisions and probably a JV race, as well. If you have other suggestions, we'll take them seriously, of course, as this venue has quite a bit of potential, except for the parking. But, hey, at least it's not Old Hickory on the first Saturday in November. Ouch. I thought it was a terrific meet on a really quick (and accurate) course on a beautiful day.
This year the race numbers really blew up--because of the date, I think. That's a great thing in many ways and a curse in some others. Of course, we're thrilled that our buddies from upper-ET and from Memphis and Nashville made the trip and will listen and try to improve the meet next year as we expect numbers to grow. Parking always has been and probably always will be an issue at that venue, but we have some creative ideas for handling that next year by parking cars in areas other than that one main lot. (In fact, my team parked in the middle lot a mile away from the start. Our warmup and cooldown incorporated that mile each way.) We also plan to run two divisions and probably a JV race, as well. If you have other suggestions, we'll take them seriously, of course, as this venue has quite a bit of potential, except for the parking.

But, hey, at least it's not Old Hickory on the first Saturday in November. Ouch.

I thought it was a terrific meet on a really quick (and accurate) course on a beautiful day.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.