TSSAA State Track and Field Championships 2017

• Network Admin
    PRO
    RothRE
    TSSAA has a "Live Results" link but the most recent updated event is the boys decathlon...> 36 hours behind. There are better systems to offer live results that are quite literally no more than 10" delay with the uplink to the web including split times.
  • Network Admin
    PRO
    RothRE
    @ckxctf Yes, you have about the ideal way of providing live results. Could hardly think of anything better. Thanks for the link but they're still not updating it. Maybe you can offer an explanation about how live results in that particular program/format are often so far behind. When you get used to such immediate results, something like this is a little bit tormenting, especially when you can't be there in person. Thank goodness for some of the parents and coaches there texting and tweeting results but I would still like to know about some of the events that don't include our particular athletes. This is intended as a practical question that may be political: why are you guys hired as the timers?
  • Jim Kaiser
    Coach
    PRO
    alltrax
    @RothRE

Sorry about the live results, Alan...and appreciate the understanding.
    The live result computer we were going to use ended up needing to be used as the scoreboard computer due to an unforeseen accident (an errant tent flap that the wind happened to send directly at a table holding said computer that will need repair).
    I had to make a choice between the live results for people at home & making them wait until the meet was finished versus the athletes/coaches/spectators here at the meet (scoreboard, timing & backup timing, data/results for media/public posting). Obviously, I had to choose the people here in Murfreesboro.

We have some spare laptops but none set up with Hytek ready to go for live results.

We'll try to find a solution for tomorrow.
  • Chris Kane
    Site Admin
    ckxctf
    @alltrax Thanks for the reply Jim. You do a superb job. Losing a comp the day of a meet is an absolute pain and you made the right call (spectators on site vs home. @RothRE I think Jim's explanation fully explains why they couldn't produce live results as planned.
  • Coach
    PRO
    gjshea
    Where are all the pictures? Only a small portion are online. For PV, only girls AAA made it online???
  • Network Admin
    PRO
    RothRE
    @alltrax An equipment failure is certainly a difficult situation to face in a setting like that. You made a choice you had to make. You are right that people in the stadium deserved the scoreboard technology.

However, I followed each day of the events and the HY-TEK system does not offer consistent live results. This is not specific to the state meet or other events. It is generally a true statement about this particular piece of technology and it has been true for the number of years I've watched it used. On its best day, live usually means several minutes after the event has finished. On Friday, few if any of the A-AA events were posting as the competition proceeded. I recognize that there are human delays with scoring the field events but with the track competitions, the delays were very long. In fact, by the end of the day the only way to monitor the results was by watching the "Last Completed Event" tab refresh itself. By actually clicking on any of the completed events, all you would get was a gray screen and some notation that the results are not available or the event hadn't been run, something to that effect. I attempted to follow the state meet over several different computers, in different locations, with different Internet browsers, on my phone, tablet, etc. Ultimately, it became easier to get text and twitter updates from people in the stands. Only well after all the events were completed could I really go back and find out about performances. Finding them later was great but it does not meet the criterion of "live" in my book. I've attempted to watch "live" events (indoor/outdoor - high school/collegiate) all too often with that software with the same results.

I'm not a coach, or a software engineer. Just a fan of the sport. This year, the team I follow participated in events with live scoring that was truly and almost miraculously live. There were delays of only a few seconds, if that, and it included split times for every lap. It was nearly like being there. After you experience something like that several times in a track season, you're just not willing to go back to something less...especially with something on the line like a state championship.

Just one consumer's input.
  • Chris Kane
    Site Admin
    ckxctf
    @RothRE That results you saw was also Hytek, just sent to the site you saw it on, and its reformatted to that site's formatting. Same process as Hytek's live results. The Live Scoreboard feature only uses Finishlynx and not Hytek directly. Alot of times it is your browser hung up and if you clear your cache, it will pull up.
  • Network Admin
    PRO
    RothRE
    @ckxctf Thanks for technical information. However, clearing the cache offered no improvement. Like most things, timing events is a consumer oriented job. Finding or developing products like the one you have been using is better for the consumer. Fast, accurate, detailed results are really appreciated. Thank you for the product you have been producing this year.
  • Chris Kane
    Site Admin
    ckxctf
    @RothRE Well I appreciate the compliment :) Credit goes to the developer, he worked hard on it the past year to get it to showtime for this season. He would fix bugs I had in under 24 hours like when the decathlon wasn't posting scores correctly for the section 1 meet. I just helped test (especially the scoreboard/splits) for awhile with the Hoka meet being my first real test last fall.